Town Announces Changes to Cemetery Ordinance
Changes to the Cemetery Ordinance were made due to the difficulty Town staff was having in mowing and maintaining the cemetery. One of the problems was due to deteriorating natural and artificial flower arrangements coming apart and littering the grounds. The other issue was the placement of various items on the grave itself which made mowing and trimming time consuming and hazardous for Town staff. These items also caused damage to Town equipment. The Town asks that you remove deteriorated or unsightly floral arrangements in a timely manner. We also ask that any items noted in 13-8 (d-e) are taken off grave sites before August 1, 2014. After this date, deteriorated floral arrangements and any unapproved items will be removed from grave sites without prior notice. The specific changes approved by the Stoneville Town Council on May 6, 2014 are noted below.
- Section 13-8 General Rules and Regulations
- No person may plant, prune, or remove any tree, shrub, flower, grass or other plant of any kind except with the consent of and in accordance with the directions of the cemetery administrator.
- The cemetery administrator or designee may enter any lot and remove or trim any tree, shrub or any other plant that encroaches upon any other lot or any walkway, driveway or other part of the cemetery.
- The cemetery administrator or designee may remove from the cemetery all floral designs and flowers (natural or artificial), weeds or plants of any kind from the cemetery as soon as they deteriorate or otherwise become unsightly.
- No trinkets, toys, shells, pickle jars, tin cans, sand, rocks or anything, which in the opinion of the cemetery administrator is unsightly, will be allowed on any lot or single grave and all such articles, materials and things will be removed without notice and the Town of Stoneville shall not be responsible for the loss or destruction of same.
- No person shall place or caused to be placed on any lot in the cemetery any stone, planting or obstacle other than markers, monuments, headstones or footstones allowed in 13-19 and 13-19A.
Please do not hesitate to contact me at Town Hall if you have any questions regarding these new rules. Thank you for helping the Town keep the cemetery beautiful.
Ken Gamble - Town Manager